I got an interesting comment this week regarding my previous post.
I got to thinking, maybe I should clarify my intentions in all of this.
When Baron and I first got married, and possibly even before we actually got married, we talked about having children, as most couples do, and decided that we would love to have a big family! We talked and talked, and decided that we wanted to have 6 children. We talked about birth children, We talked about adopting. We knew it was just something we both wanted to do (regardless of fertility status). We also decided long ago, that once the children (biological and adopted) were old enough, we would open our home to foster children, and possibly do that for many years. This was before the aforementioned (non-diagnosis) of infertility.
When we realized that there was something wrong, God started working in our lives to open our hearts and lives to adopt/foster NOW. I guess we just assumed that a pregnancy would happen before we were able (financially) to adopt. At this particular time, yes, I still have a desire to birth a child, but I know, as I have wanted to adopt for as long as I have wanted to birth children, that I will love both adopted children and biological children as my own. (and they will be my own, regardless of how they came to our family!) all I really want is a baby in my arms to call mine and to be able to love that child (or foster child who wouldn't be mine for long) for as long and as much as I can. I feel that if I couldn't adopt for some reason, that I would feel the same way. That there would be a certain amount of grief regarding the loss of the ability to adopt (and foster!)
Regardless of your own fertility status, you (my readers) must remember that there are other reasons for wanting to adopt other than JUST the inability to conceive and carry a biological child. This was in the works well before we even officially decided to start trying to conceive. We just feel that maybe God (like we can really know his big plan! haha..) is speeding things up for us on the adopt/foster front. We feel that he doesn't want us to wait until we have biological children to adopt, as our desire to adopt does not rest on the status of my fertility. We really don't know what God wants for us regarding bio-kids, but we do think that he wants us to foster/adopt. I guess only time will tell about bio-kids, but either way, God's will is always best. I guess that's why we're going at this at the same time, that it doesn't matter, either way we are going to foster/adopt. That decision doesn't hinge on the outcome of the treatment.
I want our children to know, whether they are biological or adopted or fostered, that they were ALL wanted, despite their genetic relationship to baron and I. The comment was a great reminder to tell all of our children our story, about how their mommy and daddy, before they were even married, wanted them, and already loved them.
I hope I clarified a few things. I don't want anyone else to think that we are adopting/fostering JUST because we are *infertile*. That is just not the case.
-Megs
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
you do not have to defend yourself - but I am glad that you are confident enough that you can if you so chose! More power to you!
it is interesting to me that people talk about the cost of adoption but then go off to spend thousands of dollars on infertility tests and treatments in the hope that it will lead to a child to come to the end with no child-when adoption (even with its costs) leads to a child every time.something to think about.
once again.. we're not talking about spending thousands. and we're not looking for a cure to having a baby, we're looking for a feasible cure for not loosing any more babies.
Post a Comment