So not on the topic of adoption or foster care...
Though the kids are doing well, and we were officially moved to an "Adoption case worker" instead of a foster case worker, but no word on the legal stuff or anything like that. Looking more and more like we'll have to wait the full 2 years for that crap to go through.
So Baron and I decided to move forward with some more fertility testing. We were getting a little tired of having no answers, and repeatedly miscarrying, especially since we choose not to use birth control for moral reasons.
So far, we have a whole host of answers, amazingly enough. Something my OB/GYN who specializes in Infertility couldn't find.
I am homozygous for MTHFR mutations. This means I can't metabolize Folic acid and this can cause multiple reasons to miscarry. It's needed for blood clotting, and neural tube formation in the fetus.
I am also VERY positive for APA's, or Antiphospholipid Antibodies. Also a clotting disorder. This can cause thrombosis and embolisms if left untreated, but normally nothing is done until it causes a problem. Thankfully they think that 5 miscarriages is a problem. Basically what happens is that microclots form where the embryo attaches. Conception takes place, the baby tries to burrow in, and all of the sudden my uterus says "NO WAY JOSE!!" and forms a clot. Thus all the early miscarriages right near the time of implantation.
I am also positive for another clotting factor, and he didn't mention which one it was.. but it really doesn't matter. The treatment is all the same.
I am now on Folgard (a TON of extra folic acid and B12) and Baby Aspirin, daily. For the rest of my life to help prevent clots that could kill me. (Praise the Lord that we found this. I have several close family members who have had this problem and some of them have died from heart attacks)
From the time of ovulation until the start of a new cycle or a BFP (big fat positive pregnancy test) I'll be taking low-molecular weight heparin injections, twice a day.
I also had a Sonohystogram today, which is basically just where they inject saline into the uterus, and do an ultrasound. Everything looked good (no fibroids, no septum, no polyps) but I had NO lining at all. Which also explains miscarriages. No lining=no place for embryo to attach to.
So not sure what they're going to do for that, we'll see.
I have another u/s on monday to see if my uterus ever decides to catch up and make a lining.
I guess that's about it for now.
I am sure there will be more later.
-Megan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm glad you have some answers. :)
What great info to have! So, I guess this means that you all could possibly have a baby in your future then?
I was just recently (like October!) diagnoses being Homo for MTHFR. Again, just like you, after five miscarriages. They have put me on Foltex (similar to Folgard), and Lovonox. If heparin isn't covered, you might want to check that. I only take it once a day, (so better because 1/2 as many shots), until (if I ever get there) my 34th week, then it's on to heparin. Just a thought!
Send me an e-mail lovemarriagecarriage (at) gmail (dot) com if you want to chat!
Post a Comment